248-553-7944 (Corporate Fax)
Carmen Moyer focuses about 85% of her practice on family law issues and regularly handles cases in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Genesee and Livingston Counties. While she makes every effort to negotiate an amicable resolution to family law matters, she has conducted, and won, several important postjudgment hearings for her clients. In 2005, she won her first custody appeal in the case of Peric v Peric, 2005 WL 2090787, 1 (Mich.App.) (Mich.App.,2005).
Ms. Moyer regards her relationship with clients as a partnership. Former clients have been pleasantly surprised by the personal attention that they have received. One former client noted that Ms. Moyer spent the necessary time listening and carefully discussing my concerns about an action. and she proactively involved me communicating strategy, potential outcomes and the best course of action (David J., Atlanta, Georgia). Carmen Moyer has represented clients from other states as well as foreign countries, including Guam, Egypt, Japan, China and Brazil in cases involving interstate and international domestic relation matters.
Ms. Moyer graduated cum laude from Wayne State University Law School in 2002. She spent two years on the Wayne Law Review as an editor and completed an internship with both the US District Attorney's Office and a federal district court judge.
From 2005 to 2007, Ms. Moyer was on the court appointed list for Washtenaw County to represent indigent defendants. She also served as the co-chair of the criminal law section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association for that same time frame. During that time she designed and championed a mentorship program for court appointed counsel, the purpose of which was to ensure competent representation for indigent defendants and to support newer attorneys as they entered the practice of law.
Ms. Moyer believes that she has an ethical obligation to give back to her community and works with the Family Law Assistance Program of Oakland County and the Christian Legal Aid Society to provide legal assistance to indigent clients. Carmen Moyer has joined the Oakland County Bar Association Pro Bono Mentor Match Program and works with newer attorneys who want to help indigent clients with family law issues.
Ms. Moyer has a portfolio of published works, as shown below:
To Merge or Not to Merge: How to Handle Your Property Settlement Agreement, Michigan Family Law Journal, Volume 40 Number 5 May, 2010
How to Conduct Criminal Proceedings in Washtenaw County, Res IPSA Loguitar, May/June, 2007
The New Self Defense Act Defensible of Dangerous, Res IPSA Loguitar, Jan/Feb, 2007
Unpublished Decision of the Month, Family Law Journal
Preserving Your Client's Right to Reopen a Judgment for Non-Disclosure of Assets, Family Law Journal, Volume 41, Number 2, 2011
Areas of Practice
- Alimony & Spousal Support
- Child Support
- Childrens' Rights
- Custody & Visitation
- Intrastate Custody Issues
- Parental Kidnapping
- Postjudgment Modifications to Judgments or Orders
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Registration & Enforcement of Foreign Custody or Support Orders
- Relocation/Change of Domicile
- State Appellate Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 2002
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2002
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Law Review: Wayne Law Review, 2000 - 2002
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Honors: Dean's List 1986
- Honors: Frank O. Copley Award for Outstanding Course Work
- Major: Latin
- Child Support Seminar, Headstart Detroit, 2009
Honors and Awards
- Frank O. Copley Prize/Outstanding Course Work in Latin, Latin University of Michigan, 1985.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan, Ethics and Court Rules Committee
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Gerald E. Rosen, U.S. District Ct. of Michigan, Intern, 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Women's Survival Center of Oakland County, 2004 - Present
- Christian Legal Aid Society of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association Pro Bono Mentor Match Program
- Oakland County Pro Bono Mentor Match Program