Detroit Interstate Custody Issues Lawyers
Michigan Interstate Custody Laws Are Complex. Get Straight Answers.
Child custody disputes are always stressful. When parents live in different states, a dispute takes on another layer of complexity. Questions regarding which state’s rules apply and which state the case should be filed in can be confusing and frustrating.
If you are involved in an interstate custody issue, it is important that you speak with an experienced family law attorney. At Schwartz Law Firm in Farmington Hills, we provide local representation for parents who live in other states, but have child custody matters in Michigan. We also represent either party in Michigan proceedings when one parent seeks to relocate out of state with the children. We have extensive experience handling these difficult cases and always keep the best interests of our clients and their children at the forefront.
Experienced Legal Guidance
In today’s world, it is more and more common for one or both parents to move out of state after a divorce order is issued. Custody and visitation cases involving parents who live in different states are known as interstate disputes. In these cases, questions frequently arise regarding which court will hear a case. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) determines whether your case in heard in Michigan or elsewhere.
When you visit our office, our Detroit interstate custody issues attorneys will answer all your questions, including:
- Can I move out of state with my child?
- Can I prevent my child’s other parent from relocating and taking my child?
- My child lives in another state — can I get him or her back?
- Do I need to hire a lawyer in both Michigan and the other state in question?
At Schwartz Law Firm, our family law attorneys have made a career out of handling challenging child custody cases. We are dedicated to protecting the best interests of the children involved, no matter what it takes.
- How can a Child Transfer Schools in Michigan when Parents Have Joint Custody?
- Case of Missing Boys Raises Important Relocation Questions
- Recent Decision Aims to Clarify International Child Custody Disputes
- Venus Stewart Case Illustrates Difficulties and Dangers of Interstate Child Custody Disputes
Handling Interstate Child Custody Cases in Oakland County and Beyond
Discuss your interstate child custody issue with one of our experienced attorneys. We can explain the law as it applies in your situation and advise you about how to protect your rights. Whether you are involved in an interstate custody dispute or you are seeking to modify an existing court order, we are here to help. Call us at 888-757-1681 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.